Monday, July 12, 2010

Stocked Pantry Makes for Pre-flight Delight

One of the things I love most about visiting my family in New Jersey is the fact that I always manage to unearth a neat bottle that matches whatever we happen to be eating that day.
My last pre-flight meal consisted of chile powder-dusted corn on the cob, grilled clams, Jersey tomatoes and grilled peppers stuffed with ground sirloin, onions, garlic, tomato paste and chopped Serrano chiles.
I reached into the pantry and pulled out a 2007 Corral de Campanas. This Spanish Tempranillo has big, round tannins with lots of spicy dark fruit and a hint of vanilla. It was big enough to match the grill factor of the food and subtle enough not to overpower the meal.
Here’s to visits home…and to finding a Barolo the next time I reach into that pantry.

Follow me on Twitter at VinoChick75.

No comments:

Post a Comment