Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Dynamic Duos Dazzle a Pair of Palates

What happens when you do a side-by-side comparison of two kickin' Zins, accompanied by stellar chargrilled eats?
If you're Vino Chick, you get happy really fast...it was all about duos recently...I was dining with Unorthodox Foodie, who created a pair of delicious salads...one a combo of arugula, shaved asiago and cherry tomatoes topped with balsamic vinaigrette made from scratch; the other a cantaloupe and blueberry offering with sprinkles of chopped organic tarragon.
In a fit of culinary brilliance, I seared and then slow-grilled two filet mignons, topping them with a melted gorgonzola and crabmeat combo. This is the dish that I suspect God must be serving to his inner circle in Heaven. 
The wines were a smoky Old Vine Zin from Sonoma-based Saint Francis Winery & Vineyards and a briary, thick-fruited 7 Deadly Zins from Michael David in Lodi. Both were unique in their match for the meal- the crisp charcoal lovin' I got from the meat and the big, bold and full-bodied flavors I tasted in the vino. I have to say, I preferred the jamminess of 7 Deadly to the tobacco-inflected Saint Francis. But both were almost too good to handle...the evidence is in my face-but for your own safety PLEASE don't look at the picture for more than a second or two...seems I spent a bit too much time in the pool that particular afternoon...
Follow on on Twitter @VinoChick75 and visit mydesert.com/vinochick.

No comments:

Post a Comment